Left the 4-H Center at 7:25 am this morning for the biggest day of the week thus far: Capitol Hill Day. Four Delegates Birthday (3 being triplets) - The Shooting and "Suspicious Package."
Iowa had a 9:15 appointment with Rep. Boswell, a 9:45 appointment with Senator Grassley, a 11:10 tour of the capitol, lunch, 1:00 appointment with Rep. Latham, and 2:00 appointment with Senator Harkin (who never made it....) Between our 1 and 2 o'clock appointments we went to the Library of Congress where we heard the news of the shooting at the Holocaust Memorial Museum. I told the chaperones first and we decided to tell the kids, so we put 7 kids per chaperone and had them stick close to each other just to be precautious. We then explained to the kids what was going on so they didn't feel like we were hiding anything from them. Then we walked together to the capitol visitors center (again) where we went to the Senate Chambers. The security line was backed up due to the shooting, so it took even longer than normal. Extra security guards emerged from everywhere and things got a little tense. Phones are not allowed to go in the Senate Gallery, so when I got out I received word that there was a "suspicous package" dropped off at the pick up circle on the capitol and all roads around there had been shut down. We then went to plan B and took the kids to Union Station where we had supper and headed to Twilight Tattoo. Got to the Navy Yard, walked to where the performance was being held just as they decided to cancel the show due to weather. Drove back to the center and past the Holocaust Museum where it was surrounded by Police, FBI, and news crews. Brought everyone back to the center where we had games for the kids to play.
I can honestly say I have never "worn so many hats" in my life. I am logistics coordinator, direction giver, tour guide, event planner, bag holder, picture taker, consultant, emergency/evacuation plotter, entertainer and so many many more....but it is all worth it. Off to Arlington tomorrow..
Thanks for all the texts making sure I was okay, hope I responded to all of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment