Wednesday, December 1, 2010

For the old people

Yesterday, in my Principles of Public Relations class we had a guest speaker come in and talk to us about “PR & Old People” It was a fascinating presentation that discussed how we need to create/invent things/be in the business for ‘old people.’ The first baby boomer will turn 65 on January 1st, 2011 and they need a wide variety of services.

The presenter talked about memory recollection.

Get this. Ask someone to tell you about the ‘good ole days’ …more than likely they will tell you about a memory from when they were between the ages of 10-25. Why? This is a time frame that the mind can recall easily. More specifically, you can recall events that happened to you when you were between the ages of 16-18.

So, what does this tell us? If you open up a new assisted living center and want to create a print ad, it needs to be relatable to the time frame of your target market. If your target market is people who were born in the 50’s, your ad needs a picture that incorporates something from that time frame such as drive-in movie theatres, poodle skirts, cars, etc. This brings back ‘happy’ memories rather than negative connotations about moving into an ‘old people home.’


(How cute is this ad?)
The whole presentation was really intriguing and got me thinking…I only have 4 years left until I am 25! That means I need to be doing A LOT in these next four years. I am looking for something REALLY crazy and unpredictable to do! I don’t know what yet, but if you have any ideas, I would LOVE to hear them.

I love women's style in the 50's!

No comments:

Post a Comment