Our final work day was by far my favorite. We were dropped off in the middle of no where and had to follow a path through the forest. At the end of the path was a bay.
We walked a mile in knee deep water to reach the barge with the bags of fossilized oysters.
We were in charge of building the reef. We unloaded the fossilized oyster bags into small fishing boats and then pushed the boats to the coastline were we built the reef. It took about four hours but was a-m-azing.
Beautiful weather, perfect water temperature and we could see the result of our hard work.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures because there was no way I was going to bring my camera and take the possibility of dropping it into the ocean. I stole this one from a friend. It is our group standing on top of the reef we built.
Do you see the yellow barge in the background? That was FULL of the fossilized oyster bags.
That evening we went to Okaloosa Island for dinner.
I love Alternative Spring Break.
Each trip is different and teaches me something new about myself and others. I can't imagine spending my spring break any other way. I would never want to waste a week of time "wasted."

No comments:
Post a Comment