Sunday, May 15, 2011

Amish Sale


Amish life - Simplicity at its best.

Since my summer class runs Monday - Thursday, I decided to make the trek back home so I could make the trek to Minnesota with my parents to attend the Amish Sale.

A few years ago, my parents purchased a farm in Minnesota. Surrounding our farm is what I like to call "Amish Country."

Twice a year, the Amish have an auction.  They sell baked goods, handcrafted furniture, and my favorite - quilts.

We indulged in...
Homemade donuts...Pumpkin cookies, pies, cinnamon rolls, etc.  You name it, we probably bought or ate it.

Although the Amish religion does not like to have their photo taken, I didn't think this quick snap shot of their bottom half would be a problem.

(I took it very discreetly)

It was a cold, rainy day.  Luckily I wore my new rain boots.

My parents have been to the sale the past four years now.  Each quilt usually brings between $300-$400 dollars.

This year the quilts were only bringing around $150.

People weren't even bidding on them.

The weather put a HUGE damper on the quilt sale.  A lot of people didn't attend the sale or left early.

It could be why my mother and I walked away with ... .... ... too many possibly??

Each quilt is absolutely gorgeous.  Two men will open up the quilt on the trailer and everyone goes ""ahhhhhh.....ohhhhhhhh.....wow"

It is amazing to see the work these women do with just a needle and thread.  It broke my hear to see the Amish women standing around and not having their quilts bring a lot of money.  I myself have made a quilt and I know the amount of money that goes into materials and the amount of hard work and patience it takes to make a masterpiece.

(Again, I snuck this photo - I was feeling very rebellious)

My parents have decided that each daughter gets to pick out her own hand stitched quilt as a keepsake.

It was my turn this year. 

Since the quilts were going for little money.  I walked away with a couple.  Check back tomorrow to see which ones I picked.

No comments:

Post a Comment