Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What I do..

So, my wonderful mother (who is celebrating her 26th wedding anniversary with my father today) told me that I need to explain what it is "i do" at MAW (Make-A-Wish)

Last night, I had to assist with a refreshers training for MAW. I was in charge of setting up everyone's binders, pens, itineriaries, pins, and Barbies. Yes, Barbies. Mattel donated/designed the cutest MAW Barbie. She is in a bright pink dress and is given to the wish children. The wish volunteers give the Barbies and other toys as "enhancement" gifts while the child is waiting to go on their wish. I also had to take pictures of the group for chapter publicity.

Today was a GREAT day! I got to make the itinerary of a 10 year old girl who has brain cancer. I receive the case and see what their wish is and then I make a decorative itinerary listing all important information and things for the family to do, see, places to eat, etc. She really wanted to go to Disney World and see dolphins!

After that is completed I make their "special wish bag." It consists of the itinerary, plane confirmation, rent-a-car info, travelers checks, MAW pens, MAW paper, MAW tattoos, MAW football, MAW everything...as well as some snacks.

Many of these children's parents are split-up, divorced, or MIA as one case said...I talked to my mom about it and she said that statistics show parents who have children with illnesses and more likely to be separated. So...with that being said say a prayer for these little kiddos. Not only are they suffering from a life-threatening illness...a lot of the times they only have one parent around. That isn't the case all the time but they still can use your prayers!

After work today I went and volunteered preparing mailings to USA supporters of SOS Children’s Villages. Here is a picture of some of the letters I helped prepare.

I have decided that I am volunteering my whole summer. Next week, I start mentoring a child in the Adams-Morgan School District. I can't wait.

On another note, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY mom and dad! I love you both so much and admire both of you. I couldn't have asked for two better parents. Love you!

Best wishes,
ang

No comments:

Post a Comment