Monday, June 28, 2010

Ohhhh what a day

Today was the first day of my second internship. I began working at For Love of Children in Adams Morgan. I am doing administrative work and community outreach. The staff is very friendly, especially my supervisor, Elizabeth. I made phone calls to the parents who have children in the tutoring program reminding them that tomorrow starts the summer tutoring program. Then Elizabeth began training me on how to test children who want to receive the free tutoring service. I am not done with training, but they did let me sit in on a testing and observe. The boy just completed the 5th grade. After testing, we found he was only at a second grade level. It makes me really sad to think that we have a great education system in America, but thousands of students are behind. I will begin tutoring tomorrow night and I am very excited!

On another note....another metro accident had me stuck in the city for over 2 hours. Someone jumped in front of a train causing disruptions on the red line. I literally sat at Cleveland Park Metro stop for over a half an hour and then they updated us saying that we would be sharing the track and there were several trains ahead of us. I got off metro, took the bus and then walked the rest of the way home. This is what metro looked like.

Yes, there are thousands of people standing on the platform.

It is so hot and humid in this city. It is overcrowded with tourists. There are strollers everywhere in this city. Why would you bring your 3 year old to DC when it is 100 degrees? Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment