Saturday, April 23, 2011

trip down memory lane.

The Wasko sisters are home for the weekend to celebrate Easter.

Last night I went to my old middle school gym to see a friend's band play.

My 8th grade year, my middle school building was condemned because bricks began falling off the front.

I have not stepped foot in that gym since the day the news cameras, building inspectors, and reporters from across Iowa were gathered in the gym with us students.

I remember my middle school principal telling us students firmly that we had one and only one trip up to our locker to grab everything we owned.

The rest of the school year was spent in itty bitty classrooms in the high school building.

When I walked into the gym last night I was taken over by emotions. The stage where I was the lead character in my 7th grade play was set-up with the band's instruments.

The gym floor where we used to play knockout was set up with chairs.

The locker room where we would "hide" when we didn't want to go to band still smelt the same.

The "believe in yourself banner" was still hanging near the door that lead to the band room and vocal room.

The "Character Counts Pillars" were still painted on the wall next to the FCS room where I learned some basic cooking recipes.

It seems as if it was such a long time ago, but realistically it wasn't.

People always tell me that as you get older times goes by faster.

I couldn't agree more.

The band's performance last night was excellent. It was a Good Friday celebration so everything was tied to Christianity.


As I sat there and watched the band play, I also reminisced about how I used to have the biggest crush on Jon Maley (the boy playing the banjo)


I now have a crush on the drummer boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment