Thursday, July 21, 2011

Give

Tonight we had an intern movie night.
We watched Waiting for Superman -
A documentary about the poor education system in America.
The movie follows five families’ hopes of being accepted to charter schools.
It is an incredible movie that makes you appreciate your education.

I am so grateful that I attended a wonderful parochial elementary school with teachers who worked hard to produce successful students. I am also thankful that I attended a wonderful public middle and high school with teachers who had the same expectations.

The movie is one that brought me to tears.
It makes me want to make a difference in this world.
Perhaps "Teach for America" will be my next venture...

The movie does put a spotlight on Washington, D.C. because it is the poorest public education system in America.
I couldn't help but to think of my wonderful experiences at For Love of Children last summer where I tutored an inner city boy.
One of the first things I was told when I volunteered at FLOC was that many teachers pass students to the next grade (even if they should not be moving up) to get rid of them.
My heart ached when I heard this and still does.

It has been an emotional day all around...
One of my job responsibilities is to approve the photos for "How We Wear Them" at TOMS.
I see lots of different photos with captions throughout my day.
Today was a day unlike any other.
I stumbled upon this caption (I can't include the photo)

“We were in Ethiopia bringing our little girl home through adoption and she had been given a pair of TOMS as a gift. Thank you for all you do for the children of the world. We LOVE the shoes and we LOVE you!!!!”

And that is why we do what we do at TOMS.

No comments:

Post a Comment