Wednesday, March 28, 2012

ASB Day 5: DHGH & good-byes

 On the last day of alternative spring break, my group went back to the house we painted Tuesday.
We didn't get to see the final project, but the man in charge assured us it would be completed.
 The family had some beautiful flowers in their front yard.
Of course I needed to snatch a few pictures.
 More sweets after lunch...go figure.
Our last afternoon was spent working with the kiddos at Frazee.
This is Jeremiah.
Isn't he adorable in those glasses?

It was hard for me to say good-bye to my buddy Avias.
He couldn't exactly grasp the concept that I wouldn't be returning to help him with his homework.
Nor could he grasp the concept that I was in college, about to graduate and get a job.

He told me to come get a job at Frazee so I could help him do his homework.

I got choked up then.

Although good-bye was hard, I knew that he was left in good hands with the other volunteers. 

Our whole group.
All 28 girls.

(male volunteers needed, please)

A lot of times people ask why I participate in alternative spring break.
To me, drinking on a beach for hours on hours doesn't seem that intriguing.
I'm sure the warm weather and state of relaxation is awesome.
However, I couldn't imagine myself spending spring break any other way.
I have learned an immense amount about others and myself.

After my freshman year ASB trip to New Orleans we were reflecting and talking about cultural differences (Midwest v. south)

It dawned on me then, that even though people are vastly different, we are all still the same.
Everyone wants to love and be loved.

I found the same reoccurring theme all four years. 

1 comment:

  1. Angela,

    You are a good person with such a compassionate heart. I wish more people our age would have the same outlook on life as you do.
    You are going to go far!! And I know you will touch many people's lives along the way (honestly, you already have!) Keep being YOU! --by the way, great reflection! and wonderful photos as always.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete