I gave one of my most memorable campus tours yesterday.
I walked into the family room of Mabel Cook and found the prospective student and his father anxious to see the Northwest campus.
After exchanging greetings and handing them their meal coupon, we headed out the door.
The first few steps were different than normal.
The prospective student had leg braces and walking sticks.
The first building we visited was Hudson-Perrin, two of our freshman residence halls.
I walked them through the building and into the staged tour room.
I suddenly noticed a look of concern on the father's face.
You see, the tour room has lofted beds.
The dad raised the question, "How would my son get into bed? He can't climb the ladder"
I explained to him that the lofts in Hudson-Perrin are adjustable and can be placed on the ground.
The student exclaimed, "Dad, you know I could climb that ladder!"
"Son, I know you can, but I don't want you to. It worries me"
We continued on the campus tour and had some great conversations about the student's involvement in cross country.
Yes, you read that correctly.
This student has a special bike that he uses to compete.
He told me that they have to hold him back a few minutes otherwise he will pass all the runners.
It was time to show the family Bearcat Food Court. I showcased the different restaurants and explained Aladine (our meal plan) to them.
As we were leaving the cafeteria, another concerning look overtook the father's face.
His question: "How would my son carry his food? Could someone carry his tray for him?"
At this point my heart started to ache.
This thought had never crossed my mind.
My response: "I am sure that a cafeteria employee would be able to assist your son. Plus, he seems like a really outgoing guy, I am sure he will make a lot of friends who would be willing to help him."
Someone in line overheard our conversation and jumped in.
Strangely enough, she is the director of helping students with disabilities on campus.
We chatted for a bit and she made room in her schedule to meet with the family at 2:00.
(This is just one of the many reasons why I love Northwest - we have incredible faculty members)
The family and I continued on our campus tour.
When the student got tired, we took breaks.
In the library we hung out for a bit and ate some of the candy we found at the front desk.
We took a picture next to the cutout of Bobby the Bearcat in Dietrich Hall.
We chatted about potential majors and careers.
As the tour was wrapping up, I noticed that the student was getting tired but determined to walk the 2 mile tour.
The student kept teasing his dad saying, "Dad, my legs are stronger than yours."
The tour ended and as the student sat down on the couch in the family room, I noticed sweat dripping from his nose.
He was exhausted, but he did it.
He then told me that he couldn't wait to come to Northwest.
I am so grateful for this experience.
I truly believe that it was a lesson from up above.
Always walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you make assumptions.
So many times our society sees people with disabilities and assume that they can't do a whole lot.
False.
I have given plenty of tours to high school students (without disabilities) who complain about their feet being tired thirty minutes into the tour.
Not once did I hear a complaint from the student who has cerebral palsy.
I take my mobility for granted.
I can move around as I please.
Running, jumping, sitting, standing.
I believe that certain accommodations need to be made for those with disabilities.
It is important to remember that they can do everything that we can do, they might just do it a little different.
One last thing...
Would you do me a favor?
Next time you see someone with a handicap, hold the door open for them. I was surprised to see how many students neglected to do this yesterday while we were on tour.
I strongly believe that...
Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, dignity, and warmth. - Mother Teresa

Angela, this blog is awesome!!! You wrote this beautifully and made me realize how easy it is to take things for granted. Thanks for sharing this story! :)
ReplyDeleteAngela, you continue to impress me.
ReplyDeleteMatt Baker
Love the blog today. It's nice to see when people are open to those with disabilities. I'm sure that your tour helped seal the deal with this student to become a Bearcat. Good job.
ReplyDeleteYour life rocks mine.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad this was called to my attention. Thank you for increasing our awareness, Angela.
ReplyDeleteOne of your old (and increasingly old!) teachers.